Jeff Titterton (Twitter: @jefftitterton) is the CMO of Zendesk. Jeff has more than 20 years of experience in marketing for innovative technology companies. On this episode, Jeff talks about his background, the future of AI in marketing, and how product launches are frequently mismanaged.
How Jeff got Started in Marketing
- Jeff started out in editorial, and then moved into PR.
- Being a data driven person, gravitated toward test & learn, and became a more quantitative marketer.
- “Bad marketers think about 'How do I put a discount in front of somebody, and spam them a million times, and finally bully them into buying?' These days, good marketing is really about 'How do I actually give customers compelling, engaging experiences?'”
AI in Marketing - (2:45)
- Using AI chat bot to get customers the answers they need without using support agents.
- “In general, the trend is that customers really just want their answers quickly. We are an impatient people no matter where we live in the world. Increasingly customers don't want to wait in line, they don't want to talk to someone, they just want their answer.”
- Bots are great if done well, and help support agents, but they’re never going to be able to do everything.
Jeff's Best Ever Marketing Campaign - (6:20)
- Helping Adobe launch their creative cloud suite.
- Managing change toward more constant customer contact.
- His least favorite campaign tactic? Unnecessarily expensive product launches.
- “The concept of launch, unless you're a hardware company, is kind of dead. You should launch, but you shouldn't invest millions and millions of dollars if you're a SaaS or a service company.”
Lightning Round - (12:15)
- Favorite TV show, favorite podcast, most fun app, favorite marketing tool, and more.
Marketing Trends is brought to you by our friends at Salesforce Pardot, B2B marketing automation on the world’s #1 CRM. Are you ready to take your B2B marketing to new heights? With Pardot, marketers can find and nurture leads, close more deals, and maximize ROI. Learn more by heading to www.pardot.com/podcast.