Many advertising agencies believe that sexy is what sells in today’s marketplace, but Travis Chambers (LinkedIn | Twitter), Chief Media Hacker and Founder of Chamber.Media, takes a different approach. He believes that understanding and relating to the audience is what makes a good advertising campaign: “We all want to be working on the cool, sexy thing.” Travis says. “But I’ve seen some of the stuff that’s not very sexy do really well. It’s all about performance”.
On this episode of Marketing Trends, Travis sits down with Ian Faison to discuss his philosophy about what makes a marketing campaign great and how Chamber.Media differentiates itself from the competition. Travis discusses virality and social media, and also how to integrate these new forms of marketing with more traditional campaigns.
3 Key Takeaways
– Marketing is not always about what is sexy; it’s about connecting with and relating to the audience.
– Social ads are a great way to reach your target audience, but they’re not the only way and should be used in the context of a wider campaign.
– The biggest challenge in marketing is making people care about ads. Emotion is the key to accomplishing this.
Travis Chambers is Founder and Chief Media Hacker at Chamber.Media, an agency that makes scalable social video ads that drive millions in sales. Travis led distribution and content strategy for “YouTube’s #1 Ad of the Decade,” Kobe vs. Messi with 140 million views. He’s worked with some of the biggest brands in the world including Yahoo, Kraft, Old Navy, Coca-Cola and has been featured in AdWeek, Forbes, HuffPost, and Inc. Magazine. Travis regularly speaks at conferences such as INBOUND, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Google Growth Summit, VidCon, and VidSummit among many others.
Quotes from Travis:
– “You can fatigue an audience with the same message where they get sick of seeing it. And if people do get sick of seeing a certain ad, which does happen, they’ll start to flag it.”
– “Mr. cool is not gonna be able to go from 50 million to 500 million with just social ads. The truth is, not everyone’s buying stuff through Facebook and YouTube ads.”
Marketing Trends is brought to you by our friends at Salesforce Pardot, B2B marketing automation on the world’s #1 CRM. Are you ready to take your B2B marketing to new heights? With Pardot, marketers can find and nurture leads, close more deals, and maximize ROI. Learn more by heading to www.pardot.com/podcast.